Happy ThursYAY, Riyadhizens! Any plans for the weekend? None? We’ll help you with that, for sure. Read on for our list of events and other things happening in Riyadh this week and beyond.
1. Enjoy your time at GAMERS8. Live your anime fantasies (wear that yukata!).
Two weeks ago, we went to GAMERS8, the largest gaming event happening in this side of the world. It started last July but we weren’t really interested because we thought it’s only for gamers and The Pink Tarha ladies are not. However, my husband and his brother are gamers so we eventually decided to check it out along with our friend Kim. I was mainly interested in the zone called JAPAMURA. And in fairness, we were not disappointed. It’s the only zone that made sense to me. Haha. Other zones were filled with huge screens and lots of computer pods. It’s truly a different world when you’re into esports. We enjoyed our time in Japamura wearing a yukata, doing Japanese calligraphy, partaking in a tea ceremony workshop, watching cosplayers perform, eating ramen, and checking out the anime souvenir store. We posted our experiences here:
There’s also an interesting tunnel which you can visit as long as you’re not irritated with neon lights. It’s called the GAMERS8 CORRIDOR which leads to the GAMERS8 ZONE. It has various installations and game zones. They have arcade, music, cafes, and even a chess area where you can play a huge chess set. The most important zone though, at least for me haha, is the selfie zone where booths are prepared for photo frenzy. It’s quite tricky to take photos here though because it’s a dark space illuminated with neon lights in letters and lines. It’s up to you how to make use of your phone cameras!
Tonight, GAMERS8 has another concert featuring Russ, Alan Walker, and Disco Misr. It’s part of their weekly concerts featuring local and international musicians and performers.
- WHAT: GAMERS8 WEEK 6 CONCERT
- DATE: August 18, 2022
- TIMINGS: 8:00 PM – 1:00 AM
- TICKETS: Only available tickets are SR 1500 (VIP) / SR 1900 (Sky Box)
- BOOK HERE: https://tickets.gamers8.gg/en/d/1847/week-6-concert-russ-alan-walker-disco-misr
- LOCATION: https://goo.gl/maps/qagcP3byQiv5GEYt7
2. Get your tickets to Disney On Ice! You can even bring your 6-month-old baby! (But why? Haha.)
For the first time in Saudi Arabia, Disney On Ice – Mickey & Friends is coming! Starting August 25, you can join Mickey and friends as your favorite stories come to life at Disney On Ice! Celebrate true friendship with the Toy Story gang and be inspired by the Disney Princesses. Perfect for the whole family!
- WHAT: Disney On Ice – Mickey & Friends
- WHEN: August 25, 2022 – September 21, 2022
- TIMINGS: 4:00 PM (first show) / 8:00 PM (second show)
- TICKETS: SR 50 (silver) / SR 95 (gold) / SR 185 (platinum) / SR 450 (VIP)
- GET TICKETS HERE: https://www.ticketmx.com/en/d/2006/disney-on-ice-mickey-and-friends
- LOCATION: https://goo.gl/maps/TEJ94tJDxASdAqGL9
3. Learn more skincare secrets. Because there is so much to learn for ganda pawers.
Learn and master the art of using gua sha from Yara Shabel, founder of Beauty Barista, while enjoying some fresh canapes and refreshments from vegan restaurant Wabi Sabi. Your skincare routine will definitely level up! Reserve your slot now!
- WHAT: Self-Care Saturdays: Skincare Secrets
- WHEN: August 20, 2022
- FEE: SAR 150
- CONTACT: +966-55-228-8284
- SOCIALS: instagram.com/wabisabiksa
- LOCATION: https://goo.gl/maps/d38RFB5VtFVVAG3w9
4. Enjoy 15% off sushi every Wednesday at BYO! Hindi lang sa apparel may sale.
We should have published this a day earlier so you could have availed of this promo yesterday but… there’s always next Wednesday! Japanese restaurant BYO is offering 15% off on their sushi during Happy Hour = 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM every Wednesdays! You’ll need it because their food are not exactly cheap.
- WHAT: SUSHI HAPPY HOUR at BYO
- WHEN: Every Wednesday from 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM
- BOOK HERE: +966-11-2700104
- SOCIALS: instagram.com/byorestaurant
- LOCATION: https://goo.gl/maps/aXQPtttDs8iShm488
5. Eat at ROKA during lunch on a weekday.
Restaurants in Riyadh have been stepping up their game too. Contemporary Japanese robatayaki restaurant, ROKA, launches its new “set lunch” menu. It features a carefully curated selection from the best of Roka’s ala carte menu and is perfect for a productive work lunch. Guests can choose from either the Classic Lunch Menu (SR 145) or the Premium Lunch Menu (SR 185). Some of the included dishes: Black Cod marinated in yuzu miso and Beef Fillet with chili, ginger, and spring onion.
- WHAT: ROKA
- LOCATION: https://goo.gl/maps/xFe3qERn8ktddHwz6
6. Read up on the new projects happening in Saudi Arabia.
Do you feel like there’s so many construction going on in Saudi Arabia? Thanks to its ambitious Vision 2030, construction projects are happening here and there. We listed the top 5 mega projects in the city capital along with posts on the updates of the following: QIDDIYA, UMMAHAT ISLAND, and the KING ABDULLAH INTERNATIONAL GARDEN.
One of the mega projects shaping up good in Riyadh is the King Abdullah Financial District. Apart from skyscrapers, KAFD is also home to some amazing restaurants: IL BARETTO, AOK KITCHEN, and BLACK TAP.
7. Be updated with the happening in The Pink Tarha page.
In The Pink Tarha page, we had quite a busy few weeks. Because we haven’t uploaded Riyadh In A Week posts recently, here’s a summary of what we have featured just in case you weren’t that updated.
Have you tried any of the imported chips in Tamimi Market? We were there days ago to buy my favorite Golden Egg Fish Skin, which is too good yet so expensive at almost SR 33 each. I just gave in to my craving because apart from being delicious, it reminds me of the Philippines where salted egg anything is popular. We’re also on a croissant phase lately and have tried two new bakeshops that are specializing in this crisp layered bread: BAKE N FLAKE and CROI BAKEHOUSE. KATSU SANDO, a small shop specializing in Japanese sandwiches, is also a good option if you’re craving for bread. We liked the shrimp sandwich than the steak sandwich. We know, they’re just bread but they’re so good especially when they go beyond being plain. If you want to relax during the weekend with some food and music, check out ISLAS RESTO & GRILL. After a dinner with music, you might want to chill further with the karaoke and gig nights at FRESHOP, mainly a juice and coffee shop where you can get desserts. You can also volunteer to sing in their videoke.
We’re high with pizzas this month with a visit to LA RUSTICA PIZZERIA, an oldie but always a goodie, and PIZZERIA MAUVE which is a new Italian restaurant in Riyadh occupying the front area of OVVI in Prince Turki Road opposite Esplanade. All-time faves STEAK HOUSE and PIATTO opened branches in THE VIEW MALL. They’re side-by-side and have one entrance making ordering in both restos possible. Have your steak and eat pasta too! Don’t forget to try their Choco Drop dessert; it’s currently our favorite!
8. Go to Jeddah and catch Rage on the Red Sea.
Technically not in Riyadh but your journey to watching one of the most anticipated rematches in the sport of boxing can start here. Fly to Jeddah from Riyadh and watch the match between WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO title holder Oleksander Usyk and Anthony Joshua. The event will also feature the first women’s boxing match in Saudi Arabia with Ramla Ali going against Crystal Nova. American rapper Russ will perform before the main fight.
- WHAT: RAGE ON THE RED SEA
- WHEN: August 20, 2022
- TIMINGS: 4:00 PM (gate opens) / 5:00 PM (first fight) / 12:40 AM (main event)
- TICKETS: Starts at SR 345
- GET TICKETS HERE: https://www.halayalla.com/sa-en/tickets/rage-on-the-red-sea
- LOCATION: https://goo.gl/maps/ajMoYtcTLpNt8P6V6
9. Stay in Riyadh for a vacation.
But you can always stay in Riyadh for quick vacation. We were at DURRAT AL RIYADH RESORT & SPA last weekend and we had a grand time! Have you checked our posts on their private villa, resort, and restaurants?
- DURRAT AL RIYADH RESORT & SPA
- PRIVATE VILLA with its own PRIVATE POOL
- POOL DAY PASS
- DESERT PALM RESTAURANT (Buffet Breakfast and Ala Carte Dinner)
So, cheers to a fun-packed week that you will have!